9-1-1 is simply a telephone number used for reporting all types of emergencies - police, fire and medical.
9-1-1 makes reporting emergencies fast and easy:
- the 3 digit number makes it easy to remember - you no longer waste time looking up the correct number to dial in an emergency!
- the 3 digit number makes it fast to dial - dialing 3 numbers is obviously quicker than dialing 10 numbers.
- DO NOT program 9-1-1 into speed dials - WHY? 9-1-1 is fast and easy to dial as it is. Placing it in speed dials often results in "accidental" calls to 9-1-1.
- 9-1-1 is the correct number to dial no matter where you are in Lehigh, Northampton, Bucks, Montgomery, Carbon, or Berks counties.
- 9-1-1 is the correct number to dial no matter if the emergency you are reporting is for police, fire, or emergency medical services.
9-1-1 is equipped and ready to accept calls from deaf persons utilizing a telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD)
9-1-1 is for emergencies only. If you call 9-1-1 for non-emergency reports, someone with a real emergency might not get through! When away from your home remember 9-1-1 is coin free from a pay telephone.